Monday, March 11, 2013

HEAD SHRINKING

I started seeing a psychiatrist today for the first time in over ten years. The antidepressants I have been on have been prescribed by my Primary Care Physician. Although she's a qualified professional, that's probably akin to having her treat a broken bone or remove my appendix. Although I was not initially impressed with his approach and really bad jokes during our session, we did work out a starting regimen. Unfortunately I felt like he was minimizing my feelings, like I wasn't depressed enough to meet certain criteria. Even though at one point he actually stated "I'm not trying to minimize you're symptoms", it was perceived that he was. I'll admit I'm able to get myself out of bed and even take a shower (some days), and get my ass to work, but not without pain and difficulty. I'm not actively suicidal although I have had passing thoughts about being dead. I needed to convey to him how desperate I felt, how nothing felt right. No pleasure, no joy. In the end we decided on two new medications to be started a week apart. In addition, he recommended a therapist that would be beneficial for my particular symptoms and issues. I knew there would be no magic door opened today, no instant cure. However, there was a door that was opened. An opportunity to move forward and work toward healing. I refuse to not get the treatment that's right for me, even if it means changing therapists or psychiatrists. I'm too determined this time not to fail or give in.

No comments:

Post a Comment